The mission of the East Texas Symphonic Band is to:
- raise the appreciation and awareness of wind band music in the East Texas area,
- showcase the excitement and cultural identity inherent in live performances,
- give adult musicians a venue in which to continue making music a part of their lives,
- provide motivation and encouragement for young musicians to perform beyond the level of their school experiences, and
- add a valuable and accessible addition to the arts in Longview.
The band was organized in 1988 by Dr. James Snowden. Two concerts were presented during the first season. Today, the band typically presents four concerts each season (November, February, April and May). Admission is $1 at the door for concerts held at the S.E. Belcher Jr. Chapel and Performance Center, with students and children admitted FREE. The May “Pops in the Parks” concert is free to ALL attending.